Weighing the benefits and costs of home water treatment involves some intangibles and can’t simply be calculated using water, wastewater, and energy savings. There is no simple formula for calculating the benefits and costs for home water treatment systems, but here are some things to consider:
- What are the goals of treating the water (i.e. improved quality, remove certain chemicals, soften hard water)?
- What system best meets these treatment goals (i.e. point-of-use filter, water softener, reverse osmosis)?
- How much does the system cost?
- Could the treatment goals be achieved with a less expensive system?
- What are the annual operating expenses (i.e. water, wastewater, energy, replacement filters)?
- How long will the system last?
- If I move can I take the system with me?
- What happens to the system if I remodel my home?
- Does the system have a warranty?