What is the proper shower head height? Although this generally boils down to personal preference, there is in fact a specific industry standard. The industry standard is currently 6 feet and 8 inches. That comes out to 80 inches altogether.
Although the industry standard more than likely won’t be a perfect match for most people, it’s a great place to start. From this height, you can then figure out how much higher or lower the shower head will need to be for your personal comfort.
The kind of shower head you choose will have the biggest affect on the overall height. Different kinds of shower heads have different lengths. For example, some shower heads have longer necks while others are shorter. This is why it’s good to start with the standard height and move from there. By doing so, you’ll enjoy your showers than much more.
You’ll also have your choice between adjustable, hand-held, and stationary shower heads. Adjustable and hand-held shower heads can be accommodated to people of all sizes where as stationary shower heads stay at one specific height.
Reasons to adjust the height of your shower head
Besides comfortability and performance, there are several other reasons why you might want to adjust the height of your shower head. Some of these reasons include:
☆ If you’re interested in installing a chlorine filter above the shower head, you may want to increase the height.
☆ If you need more room for a shampoo and soap shelf that’s designed to hang conveniently from the shower arm, you may want to lower the height just a bit.
☆ If you keep bumping into the wall or the shower facet, you may want to extend the length of your shower head out from the wall.
These are just a few of the reasons why homeowners tend to readjust the height or placement of the shower head. Now that you have decided to do this yourself, let’s get started.
Make your life easy with an adjustable height shower head
There are three different kinds of shower heads. There’s adjustable shower heads, hand-held shower heads, and then there’s stationary ones. Adjustable and hand-held shower heads are great choices for households with people of all different sizes. They’re comfortable, easy to adjust, and there are several different kinds on the market.
The first kind is the adjustable shower arm. This easily attaches to your current shower arm. This new shower arm basically serves as an extension. Once you have attached this shower arm to your current one, you will then be able to attach your existing shower head as well.
The next model is a shower head with an adjustable arm. When you go to your local home improvement store, you’ll notice that some shower heads are sold in a set. This set generally includes an adjustable arm with two basic option available to you. The first is an adjustable shower arm with a shower head. The second is a shower head with a flexible shower arm. Although both options will give you the ability to easily change the height of the shower head, it basically comes down to personal experience when deciding.
The third adjustable shower head option is an S-shower arm. This kind of shower arm is simply a base. Once you have attached the S-shaped base, you’ll then want to attach your own adjustable shower head to the end. The idea of the shape is to accommodate to people of all heights. Installing this shower head option is a little bit trickier than a simple attachment. In fact, you actually have to remove your existing shower head from the wall itself. If you’re unclear on how to do this, refer to the next section for details. The S-shower head is the sturdier out of all the options and has a long life.
The wall mounted hand-held shower holder is your next option. This device is mounted directly into the wall, and just like the S-shaped base, you’ll have to pullout your existing shower head from the wall. After you have mounted this adjustable base, you can then attach your own hand-held shower holder. It’s important to note that when you purchase the wall mounted hand-held shower holder, it’ll usually come with an adjustable shower head.
The last common type of adjustable shower head is the hand-held shower with a convenient slide bar. You will mount the slide bar to the wall after you have removed your existing shower head and then your new shower head will easily attach to the mount located on the slide bar.
All of these adjustable shower head options are great but are also a little more expensive. Some people prefer these kinds of shower heads while others prefer a more stationary shower head. Like mentioned before, it really boils down to personal preference.
Replacing a shower arm
If you’re wanting to replace the shower arm and add an adjustable shower head or a stationary shower head to it, you’ll need to start by gathering the following items: your new shower arm, a crescent wrench, plumber’s tape, a cloth, joint compound, and a utility knife. Once you have these tools, follow the instructions below.
- Start by turning off the water in your home and placing a towel over the drain in the sink. This will keep you from losing parts.
- Now, loosen the shower arm flange. You’ll want to use the utility knife to do this. Simply cut around the flange, and it should loosen up. Now, pull the flange away from your shower wall.
- Using a little bit of strength, unscrew your old shower arm. If you don’t have the strength to unscrew it, use your crescent wrench to accomplish this.
- Take your new shower arm, insert it, and then take a few small pieces of your plumber’s tape and wrap it around the threads of the pipe. Do this on both ends.
- Find the flange you took off moments ago and slip it nicely over the new shower arm. Once it’s on, screw the new shower arm in and use the crescent wrench to make it snug.
- Take your new shower head and screw it on the other end of the shower arm. You’ll more than likely have to use your crescent wrench to.
- The last thing you’ll want to do is look for leaks. As long as there are no leaks, you are good to go.
Determining your ideal shower head height
If you’re not interested in an adjustable or hand-held shower head, then a stationary shower head may be more your thing. If this is the case, then you’ll need to consider the height of everyone in your household. While adjustable and hand-held shower heads accommodate to people of all sizes, stationary shower heads do not. This is why it’s important that you choose a height that’s right for everyone.
Start by doing a practice run. Simply hold up the shower head to the exact height you will be installing it and let everyone in your household stand under it to see if this height works well for everyone. By doing this, you’ll save yourself the headache of having to readjust it. Once you know the specific height you want, and you have purchased the right shower head, then it’s time to install it.
Replacing and installing a new stationary shower head
To replace an old shower head, follow the easy instructions listed below. By not having to call a professional, you’ll save yourself both time and money.
- The first thing that you’re going to want to do is turn off the water supply in your home.
- Once you have turned off the water supply, you’ll also want to place a towel over the drain in the tub. This will prevent any loose parts from going down the drain.
- You should be able to screw off shower head by hand. If it doesn’t come off, you can also use a lubricant to help unscrew it.
- Make sure you spray the lubricant into the threads and allow it a few minutes to screw in.
- Put a towel over the shower head and hold it into place with a pair of slip-joint plyers.
- With your other hand, use a pair of plyers to unscrew the nut located on the shower head. Make sure you screw it counter-clockwise.
- After you have removed the shower head, inspect the end of the pipe for tape or residue. Clean it off with a brush if there is any on there.
- Wrap some plumber’s tape around the end of the threads.
- Screw on your new shower head and hand tighten it until it is firmly snug. Last but not least, turn your water back on and check for leaks.
Now that you know how to adjust your shower head height, you can now take a shower in comfort while also being safe as well. Adding a new shower head is also a great way give your bathroom a new look.
- What to Do if Your House Smells Like Gas but There’s No Leak - February 6, 2023
- Why Is There a Burning Smell Coming From My Vents? - August 16, 2022
- How to Remove the Musty Smell From Your Air Conditioner - August 16, 2022