One of the biggest sources of water waste in the home comes from leaving faucets running while washing dishes, rinsing vegetables and brushing your teeth.
The first step to preventing wasting H2O is to check for leaks in the kitchen and bathroom. Also make sure you inspect faucets in the basement of your home and outside faucets.
Faucet Water Use :
After inspecting all faucets for leaks, it is imperative you repair any leaks found before implementing water conserving methods. There are a few ways you can alleviate letting water and money from washing down the drain.
- Inspect any and all faucets for leaks. After inspecting home faucets for leaks, you should repair or replace them immediately. You can place a bowl or bucket under the leak to collect the water until you can repair them. Use the water collected to water plants.
- Add low-flow aerators to faucets. Installing low-flow aerators on your faucets are easy do-it-yourself projects and take very little time. You can reduce household water consumption by about 50%.
- Don’t leave water running while washing dishes. You should never leave the water running while you are washing dishes. It is good practice to put some water in the sink to rinse dishes instead of using a constant flow of water.
- Fill a glass of water to rinse your mouth while brushing teeth. Instead of letting the faucet run while you are brushing your teeth, fill a glass with water to rinse your mouth after you are finished brushing your teeth.
- Fill a bowl of water to wash vegetables before cooking them. There is no need to let the water run while you are washing vegetables for the evening’s meal. Fill a bowl of water to rinse your vegetables in to keep water from going down the drain from a constant flow of water.
If you and your family are willing to make a few adjustments to how water is used in your home, you can prevent massive water loss and save money on your monthly water bill. Once you start implementing changes in the way you use water in your home, it will become a habit and you will be delighted with the extra cash in your pocket.