It is common for toilets to become blocked or clogged stopping their contents from flowing into the main drainage system. Having a clogged toilet is an undesirable situation that should be corrected quickly. Most clogs can be easily removed using a plumbing snake or a plunger. However, many homeowners call professional plumbers to fix their clogged toilets. Here are a few tips you can use to unclog your toilet.
1. Give It Time
A clogged toilet may be caused by too much toilet paper stuck in the water trap. With time, the toilet paper breaks down and gets out of the water trap once the toilet is flushed.
2. Try Hot Water
Breaking down of the contents stuck in the water trap can be expedited by pouring hot water into the toilet. The heat burns the toilet paper and causes it to disintegrate before it can be drained off once you flush the toilet.
3. Plunge Away
Using a plunger is another quick way of unclogging a toilet. However, for the process to be successful, you need to know how to use a plunger properly.
- Flush the toilet.
- Place the plunger inside the toilet drainage.
- Press it down so that it can stick on the hole tightly.
- Gently press it up and down to disintegrate the clog.
- Remove the plunger and flush the toilet.
- Repeat the procedure if the toilet has not unclogged.
- Improper use of the plunger may cause the water in the toilet to spill outside.
4. Severe Cases
Sometimes, the above methods may not solve the clogging problem. This could be caused by an old toilet drainage system. It can also be caused by a hard clog that does not break easily. Such clogs can be removed with a closet auger. A lot of care should be taken when using the auger. For safety purposes, consider hiring an experienced plumber to help unclog your toilet.
- If You Have No Hot Water Pressure, Here’s What You Should Do - December 28, 2021
- What is the Right Shower Drain Pipe Size? - January 25, 2020
- Wet Vent Plumbing, What Is It? How Do You Utilize It? - November 17, 2019